[strongSwan] roadwarrior user groups

Daniel Pocock daniel at pocock.com.au
Thu Jun 27 14:06:55 CEST 2013

On 27/06/13 13:40, Paton, Andy wrote:
> Daniel,
>
> We are doing this using Client Certificates.
>
> For example, we have Windows 8, Android and iOS devices, and we have two reasons for assigning different IP pools
>
> 	a) For identification of backend traffic
> 	b) To be able to hive users off to restriced subnets

(b) is the type of thing I had in mind

> We use different OU's  in the Client Cert to achive this, for example:
>
> 	1) OU = Sales will have access to leftsubnet 172.x.x.x and 162.x.x.x
> 	2) OU = Dev will only have access to leftsubnet 172.x.x.x
>
> We basically have different connection profiles for each device / OU, and using a wildcard in the DN to allow access:
>
> 	e.g. rightid="C=EN, O=My Compnay, OU=DEV, CN*"

That's really helpful - I was looking at the "ConnSection" wiki page and
it doesn't mention the use of the wildcard.  For many people this is
probably neater than creating another CA.

However, it only gets me half way there... imagine a scenario where you
have two departments (Sales and Dev) and two types of device (laptop and
mobile).  The laptops are corporate managed devices but the mobiles are
BYOD and are assumed to be full of malware.

So there are four permutations:

Sales/mobile  (O=My Company, OU=Sales, D=mobile, CN*)
Sales/laptop
Dev/mobile
Dev/laptop

Writing out all the permutations explicitly may not be scalable - would
you know if there is any other administrative mechanism for dealing with
such situations?