[strongSwan] Memory leak in charon?

Michael Schwartzkopff ms at sys4.de
Fri Aug 5 09:46:21 CEST 2022

Hi,

we have a strongswan 5.9.5 installed on a embedded device.

We see a increase of memory usage of the charon process of about 200
kB/hour.

The leak might be somehow connected to rekeying since the leak rate was
reduced with the rekeying rate. Also perhaps to logging, since we
reduced verbosity to decrease leak rate.

As far as I read the changelog, no memory leak was fixed in 5.9.6 and 5.9.7.

Any idea how to proceed to pin down the cause of the leak? 200 kB/h
impacts the embedded device.

Mit freundlichen Grüßen,

--

[*] sys4 AG

https://sys4.de, +49 (89) 30 90 46 64
Schleißheimer Straße 26/MG,80333 München