[strongSwan] Need advice on how to connect multiple sites and hosts to a VPN

Marwan Khalili marwan.khalili at edgeguide.com
Fri Apr 26 11:11:08 CEST 2019

Hello,

Thank you for the advice! I am trying to puzzle out a few things:

For a fully meshed network, is it possible to connect two hosts without a public IP (e.g. home PCs)? Or are we restricted to a partial mesh in that case?

For the hub-spoke model, I'm thinking that we either have one of the gateways act as a hub for the network or we maintain separate servers that will solely be used as hubs.

However, if we maintain separate hub servers we will not be able to setup a distinct server for each intranet VPN as we have several customers and some of our customers wish to have multiple VPNs.

Is it possible to configure a hub to be used for several intranet VPNs in strongSwan without worrying about IP collisions? (Think two customers with separate VPNs, but using the same server as a hub). I have read about the connmark plugin but I am not sure if/how it is meant to be used for cases like this.

Regards

Marwan