[strongSwan] Need advice on how to connect multiple sites and hosts to a VPN

Noel Kuntze noel.kuntze+strongswan-users-ml at thermi.consulting
Thu Apr 25 16:53:19 CEST 2019

Hello,

That's perfectly feasible with strongSwan. Details would need to be discussed in particular. E.g. regarding any needed ACLs.
It's possible to build a dynamic fully meshed network using an OpenNHRP compatible patched version of strongSwan. It requires some extra care though,
because it's evidently not maintained by upstream, but by Timo Teras of Alpine Linux.

The currently possible solution is either a manually configured mesh or a hub-spoke model, like Michael mentioned.
Meaning, there's a central site and all other sites connect to that central site to communicate with the others.
That evidently severely limits the available bandwidth and introduces a SPOF (Single Point Of Failure).

Kind regards

Noel