[strongSwan] EAP_MSCHAPV2 failed for peer VPN

Houman houmie at gmail.com
Sun Apr 28 17:01:24 CEST 2019

Hello guys,

Around three days ago, I received multiple reports from my users (all from
UAE) that the VPN isn't working.

Looking at the logs I can see that some users are getting this error shown
in StrongSwan:

Apr 27 08:02:42 gb-lon-1 ipsec[795]: 14[IKE] RADIUS authentication of
'5697324e-xxx-9273-0e0f3d1cbb28' failed
Apr 27 08:02:42 gb-lon-1 ipsec[795]: 14[IKE] EAP method EAP_MSCHAPV2 failed
for peer VPN

I can connect to it without any trouble from London.  Could the VPN IP have
been blocked in UAE?  Or has a recent security update in Ubuntu 18.04
caused a side effect?  Trying to think of any reason why this could happen
out of the blue.

Many Thanks,
Houman