[strongSwan] charon unmet dependency on native android build

Nathan Bahr nbahr at atcorp.com
Fri May 26 17:43:35 CEST 2017

Thanks Tobias,

So I changed my strongswan.conf file so that charon.load_moduler = no
and left everything else the same and the charon daemon was finally able
to start up!

After that I decided to consolidate all the configuration into the
strongswan.conf file and re-enabled load_modular and it continued to
work so it definitely seems that including conf files is the problem.

For now this will work for me so I will continue with testing it out and
making sure everything works.
There is one issue that popped up now that charon was able to start
successfully.
I get these netlink errors.

00[LIB]       loading feature CUSTOM:kernel-ipsec in plugin 'kernel-netlink'
00[KNL] sending XFRM_MSG_GETSPDINFO 201: => 20 bytes @ 0xbeba6580
00[KNL]    0: 14 00 00 00 25 00 01 00 C9 00 00 00 C1 1E 00 00
....%...........
00[KNL]   16: 00 00 00 00                                      ....
00[KNL] netlink write error: Invalid argument
00[KNL] sending XFRM_MSG_GETSPDINFO 202: => 20 bytes @ 0xbeba6580
00[KNL]    0: 14 00 00 00 25 00 01 00 CA 00 00 00 C1 1E 00 00
....%...........
00[KNL]   16: 00 00 00 00                                      ....
00[KNL] netlink write error: Invalid argument

My kernel should have all the right modules enabled, and all the other
netlink messaging that I see in the log is fine.
It doesn't stop charon from starting though so for now I will push
forward and see if I can establish a connection but any insight into why
including conf files is failing would be appreciated because it does
make it easier to configure connections.

One last thing, cross compiling strongswan for android was actually a
lot easier than I expected, but besides adding the -llog flag for
android logging, there was only one other hack I had to make in order
for the build to be correct. On my target device, sh is located at
/system/bin/sh, but in the ipsec script, the makefile is hardcoded to
replace @IPSEC_SHELL@ with /bin/sh, so I just updated the makefile with
the correct path for my environment. Being able to set that via a
configure flag though would probably be useful.

Thanks again for the help!

--
Nathan Bahr
Architecture Technology Corp.