[strongSwan] charon unmet dependency on native android build

Tobias Brunner tobias at strongswan.org
Fri May 26 10:10:43 CEST 2017

Hi Nathan,

> The output I get is (I get the same log output if I do ipsec start
> instead of executing charon directly):
>
> root at kltetmo:/ # charon
> 00[DMN] Starting IKE charon daemon (strongSwan 5.5.2, Linux 3.4.0, armv7l)
> 00[LIB] feature CUSTOM:libcharon in critical plugin 'charon' has unmet
> dependency: NONCE_GEN
> 00[LIB] feature CUSTOM:libcharon-receiver in critical plugin 'charon'
> has unmet dependency: HASHER:HASH_SHA1
> 00[LIB] feature CUSTOM:libcharon-sa-managers in critical plugin 'charon'
> has unmet dependency: HASHER:HASH_SHA1
> 00[LIB] failed to load 3 critical plugin features
> 00[DMN] initialization failed - aborting charon

You could try to increase the log level for the LIB and perhaps CFG
subsystems [1].

> (By the way, I had to add the -llog flag to LDFLAGS because
> --enable-android-log didn't do it for me automatically, not sure if that
> is an issue or I have something set up wrong.)

I've pushed a fix for that to master.

> I am using the same conf files that were generated from the make
> install, so strongswan.conf has load_modular = yes and includes all the
> plugin conf files. Each plugin conf file has load = yes.

This could be the problem, perhaps resolving the plugin list fails (e.g.
because including the files fails), which would also explain this:

> All the other executables seem to load ok, just running with --help to
> test loading libraries. For example this is the output of pki:

This tool uses a hard-coded plugin list determined at compile-time.
With the default config charon (and some of its charon-* derivatives) is
the only program that uses the modular configuration.  So you could also
try to disable charon.load_modular in strongswan.conf so charon's
hard-coded default plugin list is used.

Regards,
Tobias

[1] https://wiki.strongswan.org/projects/strongswan/wiki/LoggerConfiguration