[strongSwan] Strongswan plugins

Aanand Ramachandran aanandr at outlook.com
Thu Mar 2 15:06:00 CET 2017

Thanks Tobias. This makes sense.
In case of the Android App or the Network Manager - does all this mean that if I were to add additional EAP plugins they will not show up in the UI and hence users dialing through the UI wouldn't be able to see and use them? But on Linux these additional EAP methods can be consumed through command line?

On Mar 2, 2017 1:41 AM, Tobias Brunner <tobias at strongswan.org> wrote:

Hi Aanand,

> I would like to know if some or all of the plugins defined here - are
> available on the Strongswan client too.

The strongSwan IKE daemon may be used as client or server or both,
depending on the configuration.  It does not enforce a clear distinction
(excluding specific client implementations that use libcharon, like the
Android app or the NetworkManager integration).  The plugins may or may
not be applicable to a given scenario (e.g. eap-radius, which only
verifies credentials, is only useful for server connections, similarly,
the resolve plugin, which installs DNS servers, is a component that's
only relevant on roadwarrior clients).

Regards,
Tobias