[strongSwan] Sending ID_DER_ASN1_GN as the ID Type in the IDi Payload

HARKINS, James P (James) james.harkins at alcatel-lucent.com
Thu Jun 6 20:16:56 CEST 2013

Hello all,

I've been trying to find a way to send the IDi Payload with type ID_DER_ASN1_GN, but I have been unsuccessful.  I searched the strongswan documentation for "ID_DER_ASN1_GN" but only found this:
ID_DER_ASN1_GN

ID data is the binary DER encoding of an ASN.1 X.509 GeneralName.

I am not clear what makes a "GeneralName" special from any other string.  I tried various strings, including email address, urls, basic strings, but can't seem to send an IDi of type ID_DER_ASN1_GN.  Is this even possible with strongswan today?  I'm running version 5.0.4.

Thank you for your time,
-James