[strongSwan] Recommendation for IKEv2 Capable Client on Win XP

Holger Rauch Holger.Rauch at empic.de
Mon Nov 8 15:25:04 CET 2010

Hi Andreas,

thanks a lot for your quick reply. But strongSWAN 4.5.0 doesn't seem to be usable as of yet on FreeBSD, according to a recent post by Riaan Kruger to this mailing list. He is also the maintainer of the FreeBSD port.

So, if I understand correctly, the solution for supporting Win XP clients is either:

- run strongSWAN on Linux where pluto (required for IKEv1) is supported so that one can use free IPSEC clients on the Win XP boxen (as there seem to be no free IKEv2 capable IPSEC clients for Win XP available) or

- run strongSWAN on FreeBSD where (at least at present) only charon (required for IKEv2) is supported and buy the corresponding number of licenses for SafeNet's HAremote client which seems to support IKEv2 flawlessly.

Did I get this right or am I missing anything?

Thanks for clarification & kind regards,

    Holger