[strongSwan] Does Strongswan support PEM format

Andreas Steffen andreas.steffen at strongswan.org
Wed Nov 3 08:25:50 CET 2010

Hello Michalle,

Section 3.6 of RFC 5996 on the IKEv2 Certificate Payload

clearly states

     "X.509 Certificate - Signature" contains a DER-encoded X.509
      certificate whose public key is used to validate the sender's AUTH
      payload.

This means that even if the certificate is loaded as a file in
PEM format it will always be transmitted in binary DER format.
And this is what strongSwan does.

Concerning your authentication error it can be caused either by
a certificate with a wrong public key or a wrong subject Distinguished
Name or a flawed signature contained the AUTH payload.

Regards

Andreas

Andreas Steffen                         andreas.steffen at strongswan.org
CH-8640 Rapperswil (Switzerland)