[strongSwan] non-zero reserved fields in IKE_AUTH response.

Tobias Brunner tobias at strongswan.org
Wed Jun 30 10:45:06 CEST 2010

Hi Richard,

I found the reason for this failure.  The only thing from the IKE_AUTH request,
that affects the computation of the AUTH value is the ID as in prf(Sk_px, IDx').
Now I somehow assumed IDx' is just the Identification Data of the IDx payload,
but it's not, IDx' is actually IDType | RESERVED | IDData.  The problem is that
in build_tbs_octets ([1]) IDx' is built from the identification_t object, it's
not based on the actually received payload and there it is assumed that RESERVED
is zero.  Fixing this properly would probably need quite some changes, I have to
discuss that with Martin first.  To verify it you can set the three reserved
bytes in build_tbs_octets to the value sent by the initiator.

Regards,
Tobias

[1] src/charon/sa/authenticators/psk_authenticator.c