[strongSwan] ipsec failover systemd service

Michael Schwartzkopff ms at sys4.de
Thu Jun 30 18:56:55 CEST 2022

On 30.06.22 18:00, Luke Davis wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've got two firewalls in failover but whenever the strongswan service
> moves between firewalls it doesn't automatically startup the tunnels.

Dead peer detection (DPD) on client side.

> Is there a recommended way to do this/how have others implemented
> failover? either by custom script detecting a failure for auto
> recovery or some config option I've missed in strongswan or the
> systemd service.

Most simple solution: VRRP with keepalive.

> For failover, I'm using corosync and pacemaker.

That is also possible. Just add the strongswan resource to pacemaker and
create a group over all services.

Mit freundlichen Grüßen,

--

[*] sys4 AG

https://sys4.de, +49 (89) 30 90 46 64
Schleißheimer Straße 26/MG,80333 München