[strongSwan] Reinventing the wheel (not): updown and multiple children

Noel Kuntze noel.kuntze+strongswan-users-ml at thermi.consulting
Tue Feb 1 22:02:40 CET 2022

Hello Carlos,

Simply don't try to remove them but bind the first one that is unused.
That way you don't have to worry about it. AFAIR the execution of the updown script is forcibly serialized thus no contention is possible.
If you are still concerned, you can use a lock file with bash atomatic locking (google bash lockfile, there's some instructions on how to do it.
Or just write it in Python. The script doesn't need to be a bash script. Or any combination of technologies you want).

Ususally you only need interfaces for other sites and for those you only have one peer, so that's not a problem there.
You should precreate the interfaces for tunnels to other sites. Then the name is predictable and you can do dynamic routing over them.

Kind regards
Noel