[strongSwan] Can you prioritize routes?

VTwin Farriers vtwin at cox.net
Fri Aug 19 02:41:38 CEST 2022

4 sites, A B, C and D.

A connects to B and C

B and C connect to D.

A cannot connect directly to D, it must go through B or C.

I tried adding D to the local_ts on B and C for A's configuration.

This works fine, except it seems periodically connections to machines on the D network will drop.

It only happens if I have the route to D exposed to A on both B and C at the same time.

I assume what is happening are packets are going over one connection (say B) at some point, but then get routed over the other connection (e.g. C) at some point, resulting in what appears to the remote system on D as a dropped connection since it isn't coming from B any longer.

Is there a way to set a "priority" on redundant paths? that is, tell A to use B's path to get to D first, unless it is down for some reason, in which case use C?