[strongSwan] Windows VPN client issue with Strongswan

Tobias Brunner tobias at strongswan.org
Mon Oct 12 16:58:41 CEST 2020

Hi Makarand,

> 06[ENC] generating IKE_SA_INIT response 0 [ SA KE No N(NATD_S_IP) N(NATD_D_IP) CERTREQ N(FRAG_SUP) N(CHDLESS_SUP) N(MULT_AUTH) ]
> 06[NET] sending packet: from 10.10.5.1[500] to 10.10.5.7[500] (353 bytes)
> 15[JOB] deleting half open IKE_SA with 10.10.5.7 after timeout

This could indicate an IP fragmentation issue (IKE_AUTH too large with
certificate and certificate requests, fragments dropped).  But since
both peers support IKEv2 fragmentation (FRAG_SUP) that seems unlikely.

While there is no NAT between the hosts, with MOBIKE there will still be
a switch to UDP port 4500, so make sure no firewall blocks that port.

What error is the client reporting exactly?  Does it actually send an
IKE_AUTH request?

> I was expecting a windows cert request. Instead I see a CA Cert req.

The request is for certificates issued by that CA.

Regards,
Tobias