[strongSwan] How to get more error info about the UNREACHABLE error

Tobias Brunner tobias at strongswan.org
Fri Jan 31 09:27:24 CET 2020

Hi,

> Anyone know how do I get more message about the "UNREACHABLE" error? Is
> it that because the client can't ping the server or the server is loaded?

There is really nothing more about this error.  It simply means that the
server was not reachable, i.e. there was no response to several
retransmits of an IKE message while initiating the connection (you see
those retransmits in the log the app produces).  This could be for many
reasons, overload of the server is definitely one (check the server
log/status), but it could also be a routing or firewall issue
(accidental or on purpose to block the VPN) or a slow or congested network.

Regards,
Tobias