[strongSwan] Unable to get route-based tunnel working with XFRM device

Volodymyr Litovka doka.ua at gmx.com
Thu Aug 13 17:36:03 CEST 2020

Hi Tom,

please, see below

--
Volodymyr Litovka
  "Vision without Execution is Hallucination." -- Thomas Edison

> On 13 Aug 2020, at 18:22, Tom Cannaerts <mot at tom.be> wrote:
>
> I'm trying to setup route-based tunnel using an xfrm interface, but it's not clear to me on how to link the policy to the interface?
>
> This is my ipsec.conf of router1 (currently lab based setup)
>
> conn router2
>     fragmentation=yes
>     dpdaction=restart
>     ike=aes256-sha256-modp2048
>     esp=aes256-sha256-modp2048
>     keyingtries=%forever
>     leftid=192.168.100.101
>     leftauth=secret
>     rightauth=secret
>     leftsubnet=192.168.101.0/24 <http://192.168.101.0/24>
>     keyexchange=ikev2
>     right=192.168.100.102
>     rightsubnet=192.168.102.0/24 <http://192.168.102.0/24>
>     auto=start

Since I’m using swanctl.conf, I don’t know, how it maps to old config, but there is no if_id_in/if_id_out parameters, which will connect it with xfrm interface. In my case it looks as shown below:

connections {
        conn1 {
                children {
                        conn1-child {
                                if_id_in = 9
                                if_id_out = 9
                        }
                }
        }
}

> This is how I'm creating the interface using iproute2
>
> ip link add ipsec2 type xfrm dev eth0 if_id 0xff02
> sysctl -w net.ipv4.conf.ipsec2.disable_policy=1
> ip link set ipsec2 up
> ip route add 192.168.102.0/24 <http://192.168.102.0/24> dev ipsec2 metric 10

I assign ip address directly to xfrm interface

ip link add xfrm0 type xfrm dev lo if_id 9
ip link set xfrm0 up
ip link address add x.x.x.x/24 dev xfrm0

And don’t forget to unload kernel-libipsec to avoid running in userland.

Hope this’ll help.