[strongSwan] XFRM fragmentation before encapsulation

Noel Kuntze noel.kuntze+strongswan-users-ml at thermi.consulting
Tue Oct 22 00:14:28 CEST 2019

Hello André,

I just did my own tests and came to the following conclusion:
1) pmtu doesn't work in any of the cases.
2) By default, it doesn't work at all.
3) When you try to fix it by setting the MTU of the route to the remote IPsec router,
   you start getting fragments, but not of the inside IP packets, but the outside ESP/ESPINUDP packets
4) It only works when using an XFRM interface when the MTU of it is set correctly (max link MTU - IPsec overhead).
   Then you get ESP encapsulated IP fragments, like you want to.

This ia complete disaster.
It doesn't work OOTB and stops working once either of the peers moves between networks with a lower MTU.
There's currently no automatic solution for this and XFRM interfaces are too new to be a solution for setups with old kernels.

Kind regards

Noel

Everything else