[strongSwan] DHCP!

Christian Salway christian.salway at naimuri.com
Fri May 4 08:49:17 CEST 2018

Still working on this issue so a quick morning update.

I've figured that in the request IKE_AUTH is the client telling strongSwan what it supports as "information".

    # Win10 supports ADDR(1) DNS(3) NBNS(4) SRV ADDR6(8) DNS6(10) SRV6

    # OSX supports ADDR DHCP(6) DNS MASK(2) ADDR6 DHCP6(12) DNS6 DNS_DOMAIN(25)

So I have added dns and domain into the attr.conf

$ /etc/strongswan.d/charon/attr.conf
attr {

    load = yes
    dns = 10.0.5.202
    25 = eu-west-2.compute.internal
}

and removed DHCP because as Thor said, it was only being used by strongSwan to assign an IP address to the client which is not needed in my case.

Windows 10 is still not adding any route though but I have managed to alter the command so I can bind the route persistently to the interface (as opposed to the IP that I had before) which allows for IP address changes

netsh interface ipv4 show interfaces

note the name of your vpn interface

netsh interface ipv4 add route 10.0.0.0/18 "vpn-interface-name"
 <http://www.naimuri.com/>

where 10.0.0.0/18 is your internal network