[strongSwan] Slow script called by leftupdown causes clients to fail connection

Tobias Brunner tobias at strongswan.org
Tue Dec 18 17:48:35 CET 2018

Hi,

> I tried forking the slow functions in my script, but it appears that
> strongswan waits for them to exit too :(

To avoid that, it's important to remember to redirect STDOUT and STDERR.
 For instance, if you want to start a sub-script or program for which
you don't want to wait from your updown script, use:

/path/to/long-running-script.sh >/dev/null 2>&1 &

The same works with sub-shells:

(
  # long running commands
  sleep 10
) >/dev/null 2>&1 &

If your updown script is executed by /bin/bash and not /bin/sh you can
also use &>/dev/null to redirect both.

Otherwise, the updown plugin is blocked on these FDs until the last
child process terminated and closed them.

Regards,
Tobias