[strongSwan] High latencies

Turbo Fredriksson turbo at bayour.com
Tue Sep 19 15:53:03 CEST 2017

I’m not sure if this is a Strongswan problem, but I see some indications
that it might be, so I’m posting it here. If this is not the right place, let me
know and I’ll take it elsewhere.

I have setup a new region (London) in our AWS environment and are
trying to connect one of instances in there to our ElastiCache (Redis3.2)
cluster which is located in London.

I get latencies of 20ms (not sure if that’s to much of it’s just a fluke).

    EC2 Instance (Redis client London) -> EC2 Instance (London VPN) -> VPN -> EC2 Instance (Ireland VPN) -> Redis

From any instance in Ireland, I get a latency of less than 1ms…

    EC2 Instance (Redis client Ireland) -> Redis

If I try it from my laptop at work, it’s about 15ms.

    Laptop (Redis client Office) -> VPN -> EC2 Instance (Ireland VPN) -> Redis

If I strace the redis-cli command on ‘Redis client London’, I see that the
initial connect completes without any (noticeable) delay. However, GET
on a value (~14kb), never completes. If I do it from a telnet session directly
to the Redis cluster, the GET eventually completes (one or two minutes).