[strongSwan] http proxy through tunnel

Matthew Summers msummers42 at gmail.com
Fri Nov 17 18:51:03 CET 2017

On Fri, Nov 17, 2017 at 4:40 AM, Joe Lippa <joe at jjssoftware.co.uk> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Does anyone have an example of how to configure a http proxy server /
> proxy daemon alongside a strongswan VPN tunnel where strongswan is
> installed on linux? i.e. tinyproxy would be nice or some other method is
> fine too.
>
> Background: at the moment I'm running a tunnel on a small linux device sat
> on the LAN which acts as a gateway for other devices on the LAN that want
> to tunnel traffic. This setup works well and it means that devices that
> want to tunnel traffic have their default gateway configured to the IP
> address of the VPN gateway device. However this setup means that ALL
> traffic gets routed via the tunnel for these devices.
>
> I'd like the option of running a http proxy server on the VPN gateway
> device to enable the option of configuring this proxy at application level
> for some devices on the LAN.
>
> Thanks for any help
> Joe

You might find this interesting https://github.com/StreisandEffect/streisand

I have not used this system before and only have done a cursory inspection
of what it does, which is a boatload. However, it does look interesting
from an advanced consumer perspective.

--
M. Summers

"...there are no rules here -- we're trying to accomplish something."
  - Thomas A. Edison