[strongSwan] http proxy through tunnel

Joe Lippa joe at jjssoftware.co.uk
Fri Nov 17 11:40:02 CET 2017

Hi all,

Does anyone have an example of how to configure a http proxy server / proxy
daemon alongside a strongswan VPN tunnel where strongswan is installed on
linux? i.e. tinyproxy would be nice or some other method is fine too.

Background: at the moment I'm running a tunnel on a small linux device sat
on the LAN which acts as a gateway for other devices on the LAN that want
to tunnel traffic. This setup works well and it means that devices that
want to tunnel traffic have their default gateway configured to the IP
address of the VPN gateway device. However this setup means that ALL
traffic gets routed via the tunnel for these devices.

I'd like the option of running a http proxy server on the VPN gateway
device to enable the option of configuring this proxy at application level
for some devices on the LAN.

Thanks for any help
Joe