[strongSwan] Tunnel over [slow] GPRS link

Alexander Hill alex at hill.net.au
Mon May 1 19:59:54 CEST 2017

Hi René,

It sounds like an issue with that provider's network configuration rather
than with the bandwidth or latency.

Try lowering MTU/MSS with either the charon.plugins.kernel-netlink.mss/mtu
settings or via iptables.

https://wiki.strongswan.org/projects/strongswan/wiki/ForwardingAndSplitTunneling#MTUMSS-issues

I have many devices out in the field on different networks out of my
control, and lowering MSS (in my case via the kernel-netlink plugin
settings) fixed very similar problems I was having at some sites.

Cheers,
Alex