[strongSwan] Error while running Charon

rajeev nohria rajnohria at gmail.com
Thu Oct 27 20:34:25 CEST 2016

Problem 1:
root at Xilinx-ZCU102-2016_1:/lib# charon
00[DMN] Starting IKE charon daemon (strongSwan 5.5.0, Linux 4.4.0, aarch64)
00[LIB] feature CUSTOM:libcharon in critical plugin 'charon' has unmet
dependency: NONCE_GEN
00[LIB] feature CUSTOM:libcharon-receiver in critical plugin 'charon' has
unmet dependency: HASHER:HASH_SHA1
00[LIB] feature CUSTOM:libcharon-sa-managers in critical plugin 'charon'
has unmet dependency: HASHER:HASH_SHA1
00[LIB] failed to load 3 critical plugin features
00[DMN] initialization failed - aborting charon

How does charon knows that where to look for the plugins?  I used
--enable-monolithic options and that means all the plugins should be there
in libstrongswan and libcharon and libvici.

I am getting similar to following issue. Not sure how it was resolved.
https://wiki.strongswan.org/issues/1299

root at Xilinx-ZCU102-2016_1:~# cd /usr/lib/ipsec

root at Xilinx-ZCU102-2016_1:/usr/lib/ipsec# ls

libcharon.a       libstrongswan.a   libvici.a         plugins

libcharon.la      libstrongswan.la  libvici.la

root at Xilinx-ZCU102-2016_1:/usr/lib/ipsec# cd plugins/

root at Xilinx-ZCU102-2016_1:/usr/lib/ipsec/plugins# ls

libstrongswan-aes.a              libstrongswan-pkcs7.a

libstrongswan-aes.la             libstrongswan-pkcs7.la

libstrongswan-attr.a             libstrongswan-pkcs8.a

libstrongswan-attr.la            libstrongswan-pkcs8.la

libstrongswan-cmac.a             libstrongswan-pubkey.a

libstrongswan-cmac.la            libstrongswan-pubkey.la

libstrongswan-constraints.a      libstrongswan-random.a

libstrongswan-constraints.la     libstrongswan-random.la

libstrongswan-des.a              libstrongswan-rc2.a

libstrongswan-des.la             libstrongswan-rc2.la

libstrongswan-dnskey.a           libstrongswan-resolve.a

libstrongswan-dnskey.la          libstrongswan-resolve.la

libstrongswan-fips-prf.a         libstrongswan-revocation.a

libstrongswan-fips-prf.la        libstrongswan-revocation.la

libstrongswan-hmac.a             libstrongswan-sha1.a

libstrongswan-hmac.la            libstrongswan-sha1.la

libstrongswan-kernel-netlink.a   libstrongswan-sha2.a

libstrongswan-kernel-netlink.la  libstrongswan-sha2.la

libstrongswan-md5.a              libstrongswan-socket-default.a

libstrongswan-md5.la             libstrongswan-socket-default.la

libstrongswan-nonce.a            libstrongswan-sshkey.a

libstrongswan-nonce.la           libstrongswan-sshkey.la

libstrongswan-openssl.a          libstrongswan-stroke.a

libstrongswan-openssl.la         libstrongswan-stroke.la

libstrongswan-pem.a              libstrongswan-updown.a

libstrongswan-pem.la             libstrongswan-updown.la

libstrongswan-pgp.a              libstrongswan-vici.a

libstrongswan-pgp.la             libstrongswan-vici.la

libstrongswan-pkcs1.a            libstrongswan-x509.a

libstrongswan-pkcs1.la           libstrongswan-x509.la

libstrongswan-pkcs11.a           libstrongswan-xauth-generic.a

libstrongswan-pkcs11.la          libstrongswan-xauth-generic.la

libstrongswan-pkcs12.a           libstrongswan-xcbc.a

libstrongswan-pkcs12.la          libstrongswan-xcbc.la

Problem 2:

When running swanctl, I am getting following issue? Any pointer?

root at Xilinx-ZCU102-2016_1:/lib#
root at Xilinx-ZCU102-2016_1:/lib#
root at Xilinx-ZCU102-2016_1:/lib# swanctl
strongSwan 5.5.0 swanctl
loaded plugins:
usage:
  swanctl --initiate         (-i)  initiate a connection
  swanctl --terminate        (-t)  terminate a connection
  swanctl --redirect         (-d)  redirect an IKE_SA
  swanctl --uninstall        (-u)  uninstall a trap or shunt policy
  swanctl --install          (-p)  install a trap or shunt policy
  swanctl --list-sas         (-l)  list currently active IKE_SAs
  swanctl --monitor-sa       (-m)  monitor for IKE_SA and CHILD_SA changes
  swanctl --list-pols        (-P)  list currently installed policies
  swanctl --list-authorities (-B)  list loaded authority configurations
  swanctl --list-conns       (-L)  list loaded configurations
  swanctl --list-certs       (-x)  list stored certificates
  swanctl --list-pools       (-A)  list loaded pool configurations
  swanctl --list-algs        (-g)  show loaded algorithms
  swanctl --load-all         (-q)  load credentials, authorities, pools and
connections
  swanctl --load-authorities (-b)  (re-)load authority configuration
  swanctl --load-conns       (-c)  (re-)load connection configuration
  swanctl --load-creds       (-s)  (re-)load credentials
  swanctl --load-pools       (-a)  (re-)load pool configuration
  swanctl --log              (-T)  trace logging output
  swanctl --version          (-v)  show version information
  swanctl --stats            (-S)  show daemon stats information
  swanctl --reload-settings  (-r)  reload daemon strongswan.conf
  swanctl --help             (-h)  show usage information
libgcc_s.so.1 must be installed for pthread_cancel to work
Aborted