[strongSwan] VPN Gateway requirement

Tim Guy Tim at nsoptimum.co.uk
Wed Oct 26 12:16:24 CEST 2016

Hi everyone.

I am wanting to offer a 'cloud' based http/s service to my customers. Im not completely sure if to go down the MPLS route and offer them a managed internet connection or if to go down a VPN route, allow the customer to exit the internet via their on premise router but offer my services down a ipsec vpn connection.

If I did use the VPN option id need to offer site to multi-site solution that was reasonably manageable. That would stop customer to customer communication (Unless I allowed it).

I use Mikrotik routers normally but Im aware that they don't  handle IPsec bandwidth very well. I have access to x86 Intel hardware I think I could get better performance from a linux based solution.

My other option would be to buy a Juniper / Palalto / other VPN gateway but Im starting with a low budget and have access to hardware I already own.

I would have 1Gb internet connection and need to get 900+ Mb out of one VPN Gateway if I could (Im not sure how many customers would saturate the 1Gb connection)

Would Strongswan be worth investigating? Could someone offer another opensource / linux solution?

Thanks

Tim Guy
This message is sent in confidence for the addressee only. Unless specifically stated, the contents are not to be disclosed to anyone other than the addressee. Unauthorised recipients must preserve this confidentiality and should please advise the sender immediately of any error in transmission. The views an opinions expressed in this e-mail message are the sender's own and do not necessarily represent the views and opinions of the Company. Although this e-mail and attachments are believed to be free of any virus or other defects which may affect any computer or IT systems into which they are received, no responsibility is accepted by the Company for any loss or damage arising in any way from the receipt or use thereof.