[strongSwan] Strongswan doesn't route through VPN on Windows 10, but works on android.

XploD xplod at xplod.de
Tue Jul 12 09:00:06 CEST 2016

Hi.

I've got a strange problem, and I hope you could help:

I am currently using StrongSwan to protect my mobile devices when using Free Wifi Access Points.

On Android, using the StrongSwan App, I can connect to the VPN, and all Traffic is routed through the VPN (if I disable the forwarding in the server's iptables, the mobile device cannot access the internet any more).

But If I want to use the VPN with a Windows 10 client (Tablet, Desktop PC) using IKEv2, the connection is set up, I can connect to the virtual IP 10.1.1.1 for the server or 10.1.1.x for the windows device from both sides.

But in Windows, the connection status states "IP 10.1.1.21, Netmask 255.255.255.255, No Gateway", so that any traffic to the internet is send unencryptedly via the normal internet connection.

What do I have to do to let windows route everything through the VPN?

My configuration is a follows:

/etc/ipsec.conf

config setup

conn %default
        ikelifetime=60m
        keylife=20m
        rekeymargin=3m
        keyingtries=1
        keyexchange=ikev2

conn nat-t
        left=<ip-addresse of Server>
        leftcert=server_cert.pem
        leftid="<certificate>"
        leftfirewall=yes
        leftsubnet=0.0.0.0/0
        right=%any
        rightsubnet=10.1.1.0/24
        rightsourceip=10.1.1.20/24
        auto=add

I have created certificates for all devices, so that I do not have any PSKs.

The server runs on Ubuntu 14.04, StrongSwan U5.1.2/K3.13.0-91-generic.

Best regards,

Dirk