[strongSwan] StrongSwan Mac OS X app questions

Ken Nelson ken at cazena.com
Thu Mar 19 21:27:26 CET 2015

Thanks to martin & Fred for your responses.  I’m still having tunnel DNS server configuration trouble on the Mac client.

Configuration is strongSwan OS X app version 5.2.2 (1) on OS X Yosemite v10.10.2 connecting to a StrongSwan version 5.2.2 gateway on Centos 6.6.

Here is the scutil output.  It looks like this both before and after the StrongSwan Mac app creates the tunnel.

$ sudo scutil --dns
DNS configuration

resolver #1
  nameserver[0] : 72.250.183.10
  nameserver[1] : 72.250.183.20
  nameserver[2] : 10.100.36.2
  nameserver[3] : 8.8.8.8
  nameserver[4] : 8.8.4.4
  flags    : Request A records
  reach    : Reachable

DNS configuration (for scoped queries)

resolver #1
  nameserver[0] : 72.250.183.10
  nameserver[1] : 72.250.183.20
  nameserver[2] : 10.100.36.2
  nameserver[3] : 8.8.8.8
  nameserver[4] : 8.8.4.4
  if_index : 4 (en3)
  flags    : Scoped, Request A records
  reach    : Reachable

Here’s a part of the StrongSwan Mac app log, showing the installation of the DNS server.  The displayed address is the configured one on the VPN gateway.

scheduling rekeying in 35565s
maximum IKE_SA lifetime 36165s
handling UNITY_SPLIT_INCLUDE attribute failed
handling UNITY_LOCAL_LAN attribute failed
installing 10.8.65.164 as DNS server
handling UNITY_DEF_DOMAIN attribute failed
installing 10.8.65.164 as DNS server
installing new virtual IP 10.255.252.1
created TUN device: utun1

I don’t know that much about OS X DNS, other than it is not the /etc/resolv.conf flat file.

What can I do to get more visibility into root cause?