[strongSwan] StrongSwan Mac OS X app questions

Fred curious_freddy at gmsl.co.uk
Mon Mar 16 10:18:29 CET 2015

On 16/03/2015 08:23, Martin Willi wrote:
> Ken,
>
>> Are there any issues with DNS & StrongSwan Mac OS X app?
>
> The osx-attr plugin prepends the negotiated DNS servers to the currently
> configured ones. You may check with scutil if that works as expected.
>
> Not sure if keeping the current DNS servers installed is the best
> approach, maybe we should remove the previous servers. But we currently
> just add them to have them as a fallback.

In my case the local DNS server was being used instead of the DNS
servers added by strongSwan. I could clearly see the them added in the
both the strongSwan logfile and also in the output of scutil --dns.

If I deleted them all and then added just the ones via the VPN, it all
worked fine.

Personally I think removing the previous servers would be better. This
problem did go away in Yosemite so maybe it was a bug in previous
versions of Mac OS X or odd expected behaviour.