[strongSwan] StrongSwan - Mac OS X IPsec tunnel stops forwarding traffic

Ken Nelson ken at cazena.com
Thu Mar 5 23:57:31 CET 2015

Hi Martin,

Thanks for the reply.  I’m a little confused by your comment that the OS X native client does not support re-sending XAuth credentials as the log indicates a re-authentication of the remote client:

Mar  4 16:21:21 secgw charon: 14[IKE] PAM authentication of 'knelson' successful
Mar  4 16:21:21 secgw charon: 14[IKE] XAuth authentication of 'knelson' successful

This occurred about 12 minutes before the tunnel stopped forwarding traffic.

I willing to continue to pursue this by running additional tests and produce more succinct log output unless it’s absolutely certain that XAuth can not be made to work using the native Mac client.  If you have any recommended debug settings or other things to watch for, please reply.

I’m am also willing to try other Mac clients.  The only Open Source one I can find is using the StrongSwan OS X app or installing SS via Homebrew.  I can not (yet) get the OS X app to connect so if there are any configuration examples for this, please reply with a reference.  I have successfully gotten a Linux StrongSwan client to connect using IKEv2 & EAP-GTC authentication, but have not yet tried this with the Homebrew installed StrongSwan on OS X.

Are there any other recommended Open Source IPsec clients?  Shrew does not support OS X and SoftEther does not recommend using their OS X client.

Thx again for your help,

Ken