[strongSwan] Charon crashes upon receiving SIGINT

bhargav p bhargav.1226 at gmail.com
Tue Jan 6 21:33:14 CET 2015

Hi,

I am observing the charon getting crashed when I sent a SIGINT signal when
the traffic is flowing over the tunnel.

Test Scenario:

 I have established the IPSec tunnel between two linux boxes, and sending
the icmp traffic through ping with 1000 packets per second interval from
one end.

And I am sending the SIGINT to the starter daemon on the other end, which
will send SIGINT to charon daemon. Charon is crashing with the below logs:

charon: 06[DMN] thread 6 received 11
 charon: 06[DMN] killing ourself, received critical signal

>From the bt, I cannot get the much information because it says corrupted
stack.

When charon is going down, charon will delete all the existing SAs and
freeing up all the listeners.

Enabled the debug logs, and checked that while the charon is going down, it
is receiving the IKE_INIT request from the peer because of traffic and ble
to parse it after this it[charon] is crashing immediately.

I am using the version 4.3.6.

It is happening everytime, as in charon, is there anyway to block the
charon not to process the requests while it is going down?

 Can someone help me in fixing this.

As it is a simple setup, I am not sharing the configuration files used. Let
me know, if I need to share the configuration.

Thanks in advance.

-Bhargav.