[strongSwan] xAuth request for VICI

Sam Johnson sam at 80pct.com
Wed Feb 25 17:13:48 CET 2015

Hello,

I am trying to translate an old ipsec.conf configuration to using the VICI
interface. My old ipsec.conf configuration that is working completely
normally is this:

config setup

conn %default
     keyexchange=ikev1
     authby=xauthrsasig
     xauth=server
     left=%defaultroute
     leftsubnet=0.0.0.0/0
     leftid=xxxxxxx
     leftcert=serverCert.pem
     leftsendcert=yes
     leftfirewall=yes
     leftauth=rsa
     rightauth=rsa
     rightauth2=xauth
     dpdaction=clear
     auto=add

conn ios
      rightid="C=US, O=xxxxxx, CN=test"
      rightsourceip=10.0.0.5

I have attempted to create the same configuration using a call to the VICI
with this dictionary:

 { 'test':
             {
                'version' : 1,
                'vips' : ['10.0.0.5'],
                'local' : {
                     'id' : 'xxxxxxxxx',
                     'auth' :  'pubkey',
                     'certs' : [serverCert]
                 },
                 'remote': {
                     'auth' : 'pubkey',
                     'id' : 'C=US, O=xxxxxx, CN=test'
                 },
                 'remote2': {
                     'auth': 'xauth'
                 },
                 'children': {
                     'test' : {
                        'local_ts' : ['0.0.0.0/0'],
                        'remote_ts' : ['dynamic']
                     }
                 }
             }
         }

This keeps returning this error: `1 config found, none that allow
xAuthInitRSA using MainMode`

Not sure how to modify this configuration to work correctly. I have tried a
number of different combinations with the same message. Any help would be
appreciated.

Sam