[strongSwan] StrongSwan Mac OS X client

Fred curious_freddy at gmsl.co.uk
Sat Feb 21 09:54:03 CET 2015

Hi all,

I'm having a couple of problems with the Mac OS X app.  Mac OS X
v10.9.5 (Mavericks).

First problem is that I was having a problem with the DN not matching
the hostname even
though I have a subjectAltName. I was getting constraint checking
failed no alternative
config found. I worked around this by setting leftid= but I shouldn't
need to do this if
I have specified the hostname in --san option to ipsec pki command
right? I've confirmed
with ipsec pki --print and I can see the correct name in altNames. In
any case, the
workaround is good for now, I just don't get why I need to do it in the
first place.

Second problem seems to be one to do with utun1 and default routes. If
I use the native
Cisco IPSEC configuration tool, my DNS servers and routes are all
changed to use utun0.
When using the StrongSwan app utun1 is created with the correct virtual
IP and connects
but DNS doesn't work. My local one is used because the Google DNS
servers are ADDED to
my current DNS server list and in Mac OS X the order DNS servers are
used is based on
which one is the most responsive. i.e. the one with the lowest latency.
So my local one
is being used outside of the tunnel and this isn't working. If I just
set my DNS servers
manually it seems to work, but netstat -nr still shows most routes
going via enX rather
than utunX.

Is this just a bug with not settings routes and DNS on the correct
interface? Possibly
my second issue is this bug report :
https://wiki.strongswan.org/issues/522

--