[strongSwan] site-to-site vpn

Averlon GmbH (in Gründung) info at averlon.net
Sat Aug 29 10:14:45 CEST 2015

Hi all,

I have a Ubuntu 14.04 server with a service provider.

Unfortunately, the server can only get a public ip-address assigned to. It
is not possible to assign a second, internal ip-address.

Now I would like to setup a vpn tunnel from my lancom 1781a, which only
supports IPSec, to this server.

The server has been migrated from another service provider to the current.
The former service provider was able to assign a second, internal
IP-address. With this environment I was able to setup the site-to-site vpn
with the following configuration.

+++++

# ipsec.conf - strongSwan IPsec configuration file

# basic configuration

config setup

        # strictcrlpolicy=yes

        # uniqueids = no

        charondebug="ike 0, knl 0, cfg 1"

conn %default

        ikelifetime=60m

        keylife=20m

        rekeymargin=3m

        keyingtries=1

        # keyexchange=ikev1

        authby=secret

        mobike=no

# Add connections here.

conn myconnection

        authby=secret

        keyexchange=ikev1

        left=server1.provider.com #public-ip

        leftsubnet=192.168.113.0/24

        leftid=@server1.av.loc

        right=xxx.dyndns.biz #dynamic-ip

        rightsubnet=192.168.110.0/24

        rightid=@netz1.av.loc

        rightallowany=yes

        dpdaction=restart

        lifetime = 1h

        margintime = 9m

        rekeyfuzz = 100%

        auto=start

+++++

But how to do this when the left side does not have an internal IP-address?

I am a little bit lost. I guess, I need something like NAT (not sure).

Could someone give me a hint what the configuration needs to look like?

Kind Regards

Karl-Heinz