[strongSwan] VPN Gateway Failover

Noel Kuntze noel at familie-kuntze.de
Thu Aug 6 05:03:56 CEST 2015

Hello Cody,

strongSwan doesn't support active-passive HA, only active-active. The reason is,
that ESP sequence numbers move too fast to synchronize in user space, so every member
of the cluster needs to get each ESP packet to keep the sequence number
status of the SAs in sync with the other side. strongSwan
also doesn't have any provisions to automaticly start another conn, if one conn fails
or to connect to a different IP, if the former connection failed.
Maybe you can build something with pacemaker that is of general use
for such scenarios, instead of writing a script.

What use do you intend for two redundant gateways (obviously in the same "place" or
logical network), which can't reach each otherin any way? I'm sure
you mean that they won't be in the same layer two network on the WAN side all
the time, but they surely will be on the LAN.

Mit freundlichen Grüßen/Kind Regards,
Noel Kuntze

GPG Key ID: 0x63EC6658
Fingerprint: 23CA BB60 2146 05E7 7278 6592 3839 298F 63EC 6658