[strongSwan] no trusted RSA public key found for ip

Justin Michael Schwartzbeck justinmschw at gmail.com
Tue Sep 30 18:45:35 CEST 2014

Hello,

I am trying to set up a strongswan client connection to a vpn endpoint. I
had it working before, but have updated the certificates, including the CA
certificate, the client certificate and the client private key. When I try
"ipsec up client" I get the following error:

*received end entity cert "vpnserver.domain.com
<http://vpnserver.domain.com>, O=company"no trusted RSA public key found
for '<vpn server ip>'generating INFORMATIONAL request 2 [ N(AUTH_FAILED)
]sending packet: from <client ip>[4500] to <vpn server ip>[4500] (76
bytes)establishing connection 'client' failed*

I tried setting my rightid in ipsec.conf to the DN of the vpn server, but
it produces the exact same error. What could be going wrong?

Thanks,
-Justin