[strongSwan] question about network manager information during vpn session

Cindy Moore ctmoore at cs.ucsd.edu
Fri Sep 19 22:38:38 CEST 2014

I'm using the network-manager-strongswan plugin on my linux laptop so
that it can connect to the vpn server as a client.  The connection is
successful apart from some dns oddities, and in trying to pinpoint
this problem I noticed that if I brought up the Active Network
Connections dialog from the Network Manager (the Connection
information choice from the applet), there are two tabs -- one is the
wifi connection my laptop started out using, the second tab is the
strongswan vpn connection.

Is it correct for the vpn tab to show all the same information under
the IPv4 section?  Same IP Address, broadcast address, subnet mask
(well yes on that one), Default route, primary dns and secondary dns?
I expected to see the virtual ip address listed here, along with the
dns specified in the rightdns of the server conn definition it
connected with... ?

Thanks,
--Cindy