[strongSwan] Problem with logs.

Pawel Grzesik pawel.grzesik at brainstorm.co.uk
Tue Oct 21 12:06:10 CEST 2014

Hi All,

As described on LoggerConfiguration, since 5.0.2 sending a SIGHUP to charon to reload strongswan.conf also reloads the logger configuration, which re-/opens the configured log files.
But it looks like it doesn’t work for me.

This is what I have now:

charon {
    # two defined file loggers
    filelog {
        /var/log/charon.log {
            # add a timestamp prefix
            time_format = %b %e %T
            # prepend connection name, simplifies grepping
            ike_name = yes
            # overwrite existing files
            append = no
            # increase default loglevel for all daemon subsystems
            default = 2
            # flush each line to disk
            flush_line = yes
        }
And every time when I execute “ipsec restart” my file log is created as a new empty file. In that case I’m loosing whole history. I changed append from no to yes but same result.

Anyone? :-)

Thanks,
Pawel