[strongSwan] internal_address_failure after dpd tiemout

Ike Testing ikev2testing at gmail.com
Wed Jul 2 17:23:29 CEST 2014

Hi all,

I'm having issues with some responders when my initiator tries to establish
a new sa after a dpd timeout.
Responder rejects connection with an internal_address_failure due to
initiator is sending the last assigned inner ip as internal_ip4_address
attribute in ike_auth configuration payload.

Initiator has this relevant configuration:

ipsec.conf
    dpdaction=restart
    closeaction=restart
    keyingtries=%forever
    leftsourceip=%config
    auto=start
    keyexchange=ikev2
    reauth=no

strongswan.conf
    close_ike_on_child_failure = yes

When I restart ipsec, connection can be established succesfully as
initiator sends this attribute empty.

Should initiatior act in this way when it tries to create a new sa after
dpd timeout? If yes, can this behaviour be modified?

Many thanks.

Best regards,

Nacho.