[strongSwan] tunneling interface creation, MTU configuration and rotue addition query

Ravi Kanth Vanapalli vvnrk.vanapalli at gmail.com
Wed Dec 17 17:41:49 CET 2014

Dear  All,
    I am preparing a user land VPN service based on Strongswan Android app
architecture and have the following queries.

  I have a query regarding the following when using Strongswan Android app
from the play store.

i) Which module creates the tunneling interface. .. Strongswan charon
native or a call to establish creates it.
ii)  Which module configures the MTU for the tunneling interface. ..
Strongswan charon native module or a call to Vpnservice.establish via the
builder does that.
iiii) Which module does the IP address assignment.  Strongswan charon
native module or a call to Vpnservice.establish via the builder does that.
iv) Which module does the routing to the tunneling interface.  Strongswan
charon native module or a call to Vpnservice.establish via the builder does
that.

As per my analysis of playstore apk code, all of (i),(ii),(iii) & (iv)  is
done with a call to Vpnservice.establish via the builder at the native
layer. i.e native layer calling java layer Vpnservice.establish().
 Just wanted to confirm my understanding is correct.

RaviKanth