[strongSwan] Establishing CHILD_SA after one end of ipsec tunnel reboots

Michael C. Cambria mcc at fid4.com
Tue Dec 16 22:25:11 CET 2014

On 12/16/2014 03:54 PM, Noel Kuntze wrote:

> Hello Michael,
>
> There are two settings you can use to influence the behaviour of dpd:
> 'dpdaction' and 'uniqueids'.
>
> 'dpdaction' can be set to none, clear, hold and restart.
> One side should be set to "clear" and one side should be set to "restart", to
> ensure that the tunnel gets up properly.
I tried this, with no luck.  Does it matter which end gets which value?
I set the end that doesn't not reboot to use clear based on what I read
here:

https://lists.strongswan.org/pipermail/users/2012-February/002537.html

Note: I need this this to work (e.g. recover) regardless of which side
reboots.  StrongSwan is being used for site to site.

> Another thing you can set is 'uniqueid'. It takes the different values. For a site-to-site
> connection, you probably want to set 'replace' there.

Right now, uniqueids=never.  I'll play with that value next, thanks.