[strongSwan] Trouble mixing ipv4 and ipv6 configuration within a single connection

Robert Dyck rob.dyck at telus.net
Mon Dec 15 20:12:40 CET 2014

The main point I was trying to get across was that adding %config6 parameter on
the server resulted in the server being unable contact any ipv4 host on the
LAN other than the road warrior. As I said I deconstructed my experimental
configuration until I narrowed it to that single parameter.

As luck would have it, I had a power outage and of course the server booted
when the power was restored. After the server was restored I was unable
replicate the problem. I assume that my various experiments had left something
in the routing tables which was the root cause of my difficulties.

What I was wanting on ipv4 was for the RW to be assigned an address on my
existing LAN's subnet. I did not want the RW to have its own subnet. I was
successful in doing that. Then I wanted to essentially duplicate that with
ipv6 with the exception that my ipv6 prefix on the LAN  was globally routable.

If I am understanding the documentation the rightsourceip can be used to
create a pool of potential addresses. If I specify my ipv6 prefix here the
server does indeed assign an address to the RW. Unfortunately the address it
assigns ( my-prefix::1 ) is already in use. If I explicitly request my-prefix::2
the server overrides it with my-prefix::1 anyway. Is there a way to achieve my
objective without creating an external pool?