[strongSwan] no traffic without promisc mode

Denis Zinevich link at ngc.net.ua
Sun Dec 14 22:02:39 CET 2014

Made few more tests:
If I disable bridging mode (use just eth0) - everything works fine, eth0 is not in promisc mode
By default when enabling bridging eth0 is in promisc mode and br0 - no. When I enable promisc mode on br0 - traffic goes fine.
Captured packest with tcpdump -p (to avoid promisc mode set by tcpdump), so captured few pcap files (promisc on/off) checked them with wireshark - in both cases packets are totally identical (mac addresses, etc..)
However interesting thing is - when br0 is not in promisc mode, I captured packets on two ifaces - br0 and eth0. And in this case I can see responces on eth0 but not on br0. So now I'm not even sure there's problem with tunnel and not with bridge.