[strongSwan] strongswan android plugin support for simultaneous connections

Tobias Brunner tobias at strongswan.org
Fri Dec 12 11:37:54 CET 2014

Hi Ravikanth,

>   I have one query. Does strongswan android plugin at location
>
>   'strongswan/src/libcharon/plugins/android'   support simultaneous
> handling of connection requests..

There is no such plugin in recent versions of strongSwan anymore.  That
is, this interface it not supported anymore.  Basically, our Android app
[1] replace it.

> i.e Application A writes to the control socket on which android plugin
> listens to.
>      Application B writes to the same control socket on which android
> plugin listens too..
>
>   In the source code in android plugin for this scenario.  Kindly
> confirm if this setup is feasible.
>  Is this a limitation of android plugin not being ablet o handle
> simultaneous requests  ??

I don't think this was supported.  The plugin was written to work with a
patch to the native VPN client [2] of an old Android version, which also
only supported one connection at a time.

Samsung resurrected the plugin though and uses it in the Samsung S5,
maybe they added this possibility.  You can download the source code
directly from Samsung.

>   Does the underlying charon daemon support handling of simultaneous
> requests  for IKE control path setup with the tunnel. ?

Yes, the daemon supports multiple IKE_SAs.

Regards,
Tobias

[1] https://wiki.strongswan.org/projects/strongswan/wiki/AndroidVPNClient
[2] https://wiki.strongswan.org/projects/strongswan/wiki/AndroidFrontend