[strongSwan] dns problem when using the dhcp plugin

Hasse Hagen Johansen hasse-strongswan at hagenjohansen.dk
Tue Dec 9 20:24:51 CET 2014

Hi Thanks for helping

The DHCP is assigning the right ip adress for the DNS server. I also
tried it on a windows7 ipsec client from work today and it gets the
right DNS assigned, but will still resolve to the external even though
it asks the right DNS server.

I have found the problem. It is because I have made special rules for
the static IP in the firewall that it works. The strongswan is running
on openwrtand I think I made those firewall rules to get the VPN to hit
the internal resolver so I will get the internal DNS instead of external

That is because the client will hit the "zone_wan" even though the
ip-address is in the lan address range

So I have these rules:

Chain zone_wan (1 references)
ACCEPT     udp  --  0.0.0.0/0            0.0.0.0/0           udp dpt:68
ACCEPT     icmp --  0.0.0.0/0            0.0.0.0/0           icmp type 8
ACCEPT     udp  --  0.0.0.0/0            0.0.0.0/0           udp dpt:500
ACCEPT     udp  --  0.0.0.0/0            0.0.0.0/0           udp dpt:4500
ACCEPT     tcp  --  192.168.100.50       0.0.0.0/0           tcp dpt:53
ACCEPT     udp  --  192.168.100.50       0.0.0.0/0           udp dpt:53
input_wan  all  --  0.0.0.0/0            0.0.0.0/0
zone_wan_REJECT  all  --  0.0.0.0/0            0.0.0.0/0

I did this as quick fix because I couldn't figure out how to match the
vpn client as source. Is there anyway how to match packages coming from
the vpn clients? Earlier when you had like a vpn interface in linux it
would be easier. Then I could add it to the lan zone, but I don't know
how it is done now?

Best Regards and sorry for the confusion

Hasse