[strongSwan] Overlaping IP addresses

Noel Kuntze noel at familie-kuntze.de
Tue Dec 2 20:05:07 CET 2014

Hello Michael,

You can use MARKS to have several tunnels with the shared networks. You then choose the
tunnel you want by setting the FWMARK value using the MARK target.

See [1] for information.

Regarding your second question, strongSwan doesn't use the IP to distinguish clients, Actually, it doesn't
care. You can have as many IKE SAs and IPsec SAs open between different IPs as you want. The only limitation
to that is, that you don't have the same subnets between different tunnels.
A problem might be though, that the IPsec forwarding implementation on some routers is broken, because they don't
change the source port. That means, that if you have two clients behind the same NAT router connecting to the same IPsec
peer over said NAT, the NAT gateway can't distinguish the packets for the different clients from one another, as the
source port, destination port, sender IP and recipient IP are all the same for the IPsec traffic, when it arrives on the WAN
interface of the router, causing all the traffic to be forwarded to the client that had the NAT mapping first.

[1] https://lists.strongswan.org/pipermail/users/2014-November/006942.html

Mit freundlichen Grüßen/Regards,
Noel Kuntze

GPG Key ID: 0x63EC6658
Fingerprint: 23CA BB60 2146 05E7 7278 6592 3839 298F 63EC 6658