[strongSwan] charon not sending DELETE payload

Andreas Steffen andreas.steffen at strongswan.org
Wed Apr 2 11:54:11 CEST 2014

As indicated in my last email

      sudo ipsec down <connection name>{<reqid>}

you can use the curly brackets to delete the CHILD_SA only while
keeping the IKE_SA. Thus

  ipsec down r1~v1{1}

deletes the CHILD_SA with reqid 1 whereas the wildcard

  ipsec down r1~v1{*}

deletes all CHILD_SAs for connection r1~v1 while keeping the IKE_SA[s].
The ipsec down syntax is defined in the ipsec man page

man ipsec
    down name
         tells the IKE daemon to terminate connection name.

    down name{n}
         terminates IKEv1 Quick Mode and IKEv2 CHILD SA instance n of
connection name.

    down name{*}
         terminates all IKEv1 Quick Mode and  IKEv2 CHILD SA instances
of connection name.

    down name[n]
         terminates IKE SA instance n of connection name.

    down name[*]
         terminates all IKE SA instances of connection name.

Regards

Andreas