[strongSwan] charon not sending DELETE payload

Gupta, Rohan 1. (NSN - IN/Bangalore) rohan.1.gupta at nsn.com
Wed Apr 2 08:57:55 CEST 2014

Hi,

Recently during my testing of charon with strongswan version 4.3.1, I observed that after establishment of the tunnel if I flush the child_sa(or the phase 2 SA's) using setkey -F the DELETE payload is not sent to the peer.
Due to this the peer doesn't delete its child_sa and keeps on sending traffic with the old SA.

I have gone through the RFC and found the flowing line

"If an IKE endpoint chooses to
   delete CHILD_SAs, it MUST send Delete payloads to the other end
   notifying it of the deletion"

Is the above statement applicable for this scenario?
Can anyone help on what might be wrong?

Thanks,
Rohan