[strongSwan] ipsec doesn't honor environment variables

Tobias Brunner tobias at strongswan.org
Wed Oct 30 10:44:20 CET 2013

Hi Igor,

> So from reading the man page I would expect that I can set IPSEC_CONFDIR
> and when I invoke ipsec, that it would use my defined IPSEC_CONFDIR
> variable.

None of the programs called by the ipsec script (starter, stroke, etc.)
currently use any of these environment variables, instead the paths are
determined at compile time.  So changing the variables would have no
effect at all.  I guess that was some FreeS/WAN thing that never really
applied to strongSwan.

> Should I fill a bug or will you do? At least, if you don't want to
> support that, you should fix the documentation. Or am I wrong?

So while the variables are not used they are still provided to the
called programs.  I changed the manual page to that effect with [1].

Regards,
Tobias

[1] http://git.strongswan.org/?p=strongswan.git;a=commitdiff;h=19046552